Friday, October 12, 2007

And the Hits Keep Coming!

Another day, another win over a titan of Tichondrius. Up against a dual warlock set, Eternia and I picked up a win over Gumbot's 2v2 to add another powerhouse name to the list of the fallen.

Running an odd Warlock/Warlock set, my initial surprise was quickly replaced with the giddiness of hope as our Priest/Warlock team managed to dispell most of their dps, and a couple lucky Spell Lock/Curse of Tongues/Fear resists later, took 19 points from what many believe is the best warlock in BG9. Thankfully, Eternia was playing on Chansobal's priest for this match. If we had rolled in there as Warlock/Rogue, we would have gotten beaten into the ground, I'm sure.

As it was, we had no right winning the match. Eternia's still not exactly pro at playing a priest, but the resist ball bounced in our favor more than once, and any victory over a player the caliber of Gumbot is something to savor.

Coupled with our victory over Neilyo's 3v3 last week, I can only conclude that the pairity in the upper brackets must be quite fierce. No wonder all the top teams fall into predictable, mana-based matrices: Any bad luck with an execute/Double DPS team, and that's a 20 points loss to a team you just beat for 5. I was thinking about trying out Double Warlock hordeside (Grimtock is almost maxed for honor anticipating s3), but my little High Warlord might be pidgeon-holed into pairing up with a druid, and saving the All-Lock antics for 3v3 and higher.

So, with my innapropriate man-crush on Gumbot succinctly quashed, I am a bit more at ease in our decision to play 2.3 chicken (re: late season point selling) with the season deadline approaching. I'm looking forward to PTR, but apparently they broke my focus Meta (yet another nerf to 2dps execute teams in s3).

Big Prediction for 2.3: Look out for the resto shaman. They might finally have a place in 2v2, and while they're a complete necessity for any successful 5v5, I'm looking forward to seeing some weird (but workable) shaman 3v3's in the near future. They'll be a powerhouse in the Mana Games with that new Water Shield buff, and with the +healing -> discounted spell damage, I can't wait to see some wacky hybrid DPS/Healing gear/spec shamans make their way in small arena.

No comments: